Saturday, September 29, 2012

We've All Been There.

11:32 P.M.
My head hits the my pillow with a soft thud, I tuck my blanket under my chin and burrow into my bed for my nightly hibernation. 

All is right in the world at this precise moment. I got an A on my math test, I finished all of my homework early, my room is clean for the first time in months, and even though I got off work 2 hours late, everything is alright tonight.

The peace that surrounds me is like warm honey. My eyelids are heavy and all I can think about is giving into the deep sleep that is enveloping me.  And then the inner ramblings start...

"If I go to sleep right now, I will only get 6 hours of sleep." 
"I forgot about my online homework that is due tomorrow!"
"Get up and do it! NO. Take the 0 and do it later. DO IT NOW! No. I will just get up early and do it."
"SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!"

I shift and find a new spot.
A comfortable spot.
I'm not comfortable.
This sucks.

My inner ramblings have rid me of my peaceful slumber. My body aches for sleep but my mind has decided against it. My bed is suddenly too hot. I kick my blankets off and lie as stiff as a board. 

"What should I wear tomorrow?" 
"Who cares. I hate high school."
"I have work tomorrow. I wonder if I can get it off...?"
"The picture on my wall is crooked...maybe I should straighten it"

really?

"I'm cold again."
"I can't believe I did that today...I'm an idiot."
"Why are my neighbors playing music right now?"
"This is getting ridiculous. Now I only get 5 1/2 hours of sleep."
"Alright... start counting sheep. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7.... Screw it."

I turn my light on and grab a book. 

Ten pages in I fall alseep. 

3 comments:

  1. Sleep and death are cousins, I heard.

    I hope the book you grabbed was the princess bride. #teacherjokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. My past was out of my hands. My future is out of yours.
    #snatched

    ReplyDelete
  3. Story of night-time life. Like what am I doing right now? Reading your blog till I go to sleep. But I don't think I really want to sleep now. I'll stay up reading your blog. I like it a log. You are so real. And, although it's cool sometimes, but I like how you're not always aiming for the dark and depressing.

    ReplyDelete